Sunday 26 February 2017

MISS ELAINEOUS GETS TAKEN UP THE SHARD...

Ooh-eer Missus!

.... No, not as painful as you might think- my partner and I had a lovely day out in central London, so before going for dinner then the theatre he took me up the tallest building in the United Kingdom.  The indoor viewing deck is 69 floors high, with a semi-exposed deck (the ceiling is open but not the windows, so jumping cannot take place!) is on floor 72.

This is not the highest building I've been up- I was lucky enough to ride 110 floors skywards, in the express elevator, to the top of the south tower of the World Trade Center.  This was in 2000, only sixteen months before it was destroyed.  ðŸ˜¢  I must make a point of going back to New York, then I can stand at the window of the viewing deck of its "replacement," One World Trade Center.
This isn't the highest place I've stood on either.  I've been up the Rocky Mountains, in Denver, Colorado and stood on top of glorious Table Mountain in Cape Town. 

It was a blustery, overcast day by the Thames (hurricane Doris was on her way) but I still managed to get some good pictures.

Tower Bridge, with the Docklands in the background.

20 Fenchurch Street, also know as the Walkie-Talkie.  They apparently have a magnificent Sky Garden and it's free to visit, so I will be doing that soon.

City of London, including the Walkie-Talkie and the The Leadenhall Building aka. The Cheesegrater (apparently you can't visit the latter.)
St. Paul's Cathedral, looking really miniscule below a moody sky!

 Southside, including the Strata building.

Train gyratory.  

Southwark Bridge, approaching sundown- back on terra firma!

Dusk panorama.

London twinkling as another day ends...

I wouldn't rush back to the Shard but I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment