Sunday 26 February 2017

MISS ELAINEOUS VISITS HIGHGATE CEMETERY...

I used to live in north London when I was a student, above an Irish pub somewhere between King's Cross, Caledonian Road and Camden Road stations, so I had another of those, "Why the hell couldn't I have done this when I lived here?" moments!

At the time, my student job was as a betting shop cashier and I worked in many north London stores, including around Holloway Road and Archway, so getting off at Archway Tube station was a bit of a nostalgia trip for me.  The local Ladbrokes I've worked at was further from the station than I remember and I was saddened to see the Archway Tavern closed, although it did look like it was being renovated.  I used to meet my then-boyfriend in this pub for a drink, then we would nip to the Paris London Cafe on Junction Road for a bite to eat.  They sold both snails and frog legs.  I refused to eat either of those things and even my ex (who has been known to kill and cook his dinner, in the wilds of Africa) refused the latter.  It was a cute place- very small and intimate with no alcohol licence and a corkage fee.  But the last time we went they'd got their licence, expanded and disappeared up their own arses, so we didn't go again.  The cafe's not there now- apparently it's moved.  

Enough of the reminiscing!  I've always wanted to visit Highgate cemetery as I'm a bit gothic, a touch macabre and a lover of history, art and beauty.  The cemetery featured in the 2009 film Dorian Gray, which was on TV towards the end of last year, so I did my research and promised myself a day out here.  John Betjeman described it as a "Victorian Valhalla" and I would describe it as a stunningly evocative necropolis.  The walk up Highgate Hill was a real fifteen to twenty minute killer for the legs- why people bother going to the gym is beyond me- the world is one big gym!  The gradient is recorded as being between 5.1% and 7.6% and I pushed on (or rather up!) and got on with it, passed through the rather pleasant Waterlow Park and arrived at the cemetery gates... thankfully, alive! 

Here's what I saw in the East Cemetery...

The grave of Mary Ann Cross (nee Evans) better known as George Eliot.  As a writer, I had to get a picture of this.

Karl Marx:- His ideas formed the basis of modern communism.

I love this stark, self-designed piece by modern artist Patrick Caulfield.

Watch out, Beadle's about!  Considering Jeremy Beadle died in 2008, his tombstone looks remarkably faded.  You had to really stare to make out his name.

Malcolm McLaren:- He wrote his own epitaph, "Better a spectacular failure, than a benign success."

I just love these gorgeous love-hearts!

The West Cemetery...

Nature overtakes the cemetery as snowdrops grow on someone's grave.

Beautiful evocative grave showing a stone seat.  "Death is an empty seat."  This is a quote spoken by the character Elizabeth, in my first novel, entitled "The Reject's Club."  The same character also visits Highgate Cemetery with her father.  When I wrote it I hadn't even been to the cemetery! 

The Egyptian Avenue.

The Circle Of Lebanon.

Tomb of George Wombwell, travelling menagerie owner.

The tomb of bare-knuckle fighter Tom Sayers, featuring his faithful dog, Lion.

Nature always wins- tree roots reclaiming their space.

This sleeping angel sculpture is really evocative.

I know it's really naughty of me, but the monument to the left of the photo reminded me of a turd.  I don't know who it's a memorial to as I was on a guided tour and couldn't just wander off, but apologies for any offence!


No comments:

Post a Comment