Monday 5 June 2017

THE TEA ROSE by JENNIFER DONNELLY

THE TEA ROSE
BY JENNIFER DONNELLY


THE BLURB:-
Fiona Finnegan, the spirited, ambitious daughter of an Irish dock worker, longs to break free from the squalid alleys of Whitechapel. But her dreams fall apart with the sudden death of her father and the disappearance of her childhood love.

Fiona flees to New York where she builds a small grocery shop into a thriving tea house. But she cannot forget London. Convinced that her father was murdered, Fiona returns to the streets of her childhood to attempt to bring his killers to justice- and restore her family's good name.

Ranging from the bleak East End to the burgeoning businesses of Victorian London, to New York's immigrant district and glossy Fifth Avenue lifestyles, The Tea Rose is a heartwarming story of family, fortune, tragedy and tea.

THE REALITY:-
This was the kind of novel that I fall over myself to read- a tome and-a-half, set in my hometown of London (well, a lot of it was!) and a real rags to riches, gritty story of success and triumph in the face of adversity. That's what I want for myself, too. Conceited? Maybe. Realistic? Maybe not. But one can live in hope, because without hope you have nothing. I have the talent and, I like to think, the application to be successful. I truly believe that it will happen. So far, luck has eluded me and it's always nice to have a little recognition each step of the way, for motivational purposes. This hasn't yet happened, but I'm confident that it will.  

Enough of my hopes for the future!  Hope is a big theme in the early parts of The Tea Rose. This novel has stayed in my collection for 14 years because it really touched me. But now, I've acknowledged the fact that it has to go as it's looking too well-read and tattered. So bedraggled that it's going into the recycling bin as opposed to the charity bag.

This book is a real masterpiece and I'm surprised that it hasn't become a worldwide blockbuster. It has it all- fantastic characters with real hearts and faults, well-known locations, a historical sense of time and place and little stories within the mainframe. This book is long and richly detailed: in my mind, just as a novel should be. We really feel for the main character, Fiona. When she's in love, we love too. When her heart is broken, we break with her. And, when her family are almost wiped out we urge her to put one foot in front of the other and gradually pick herself up. She does that, but the way in which she does is dangerous and we pick up on the sense of urgency as she tries to flee her antagonist. This she does physically, but mentally he's always there, and this need for revenge spurs her on and forms the basis for the story.

Apart from Fiona, I also loved Nick and his quirks and found some of Seamie's proclamations and antics hilarious. So inspired was I by this novel that I took myself off to find the Prospect of Whitby and the Town of Ramsgate, situated on the north bank of the Thames. I spent my 35th birthday drinking in these two establishments (it was a very hot day and I also got sunstroke, but that's another story!) and made time to soak up the atmosphere whist sitting on the old stairs. Read the book and you'll find out what they are, and why they're significant.

The author has certainly done her research with regards to the tea business and London industrial life in the late 1800s, and I like the fact that Jack the Ripper is also a significant part of the novel, marrying reality with fiction. There are twists and turns and interesting outcomings and also a happy ending.

Two more novels have been written in this series and I'm actually loathe to read them as I've yet to find a sequel as good as the original, and they don't sound as good. But I fear that temptation will get the better of me. I'm yet to compile my favourite ten, or even five, good reads of all time. But when I do, The Tea Rose will definitely be on it. Farewell, special novel.



No comments:

Post a Comment