Saturday 8 July 2017

MISS ELAINEOUS VISITS THE MUSEUM OF BRANDS, PACKAGING AND ADVERTISING...

The Museum of Brands, Packaging and Advertising is tucked away in Ladbroke Grove, West London, and made for a happy couple of hours behaving like a tourist!

We started our day with a meander down Portobello Road, which was quite pleasantly quiet- it was possibly too hot to have to put up with too much hustle and bustle.

The museum looked very Art Deco from the outside...

Inside, it houses a cornucopia of objects.  I especially loved the "time tunnel" which shows consumer culture from the Victorian times to the present day.  From groceries to household appliances, propaganda, magazines and toys, this is a real trip down nostalgia alley.
The pictures from inside the museum are PDFs as I believe that photography was disallowed.

I especially loved the Spice Girls Baywatch jigsaw!  Both the girls and the programme were really big commercial successes in the 1990s.

The central exhibition space (which you can also hire for events) was very Andy Warhol-esque, with its lines of products displayed in chronological order.

Harks from the past...


But the real gem was the peaceful cafe garden.  It's one of those hidden delights you wouldn't know existed unless you were looking for it. 



Here's a pensive SuperDean nibbling on his Danish pastry.

And here's a happy SuperDean...

Ok, I admit it.... I'm ghoulish and a touch macabre....

I've stood where John Lennon was shot...

I've stood where Gianni Versace was shot...

I've stood where Princess Grace's car came off the road in the South of France...

I would have stood by the thirteenth pillar down in the Pont d' Alma tunnel but, much as I loved Princess Diana, I have no wish to join her just yet, so I made do with a gawk from the side of the entrance.


I've been to the evocative Highgate Cemetary to gawp at the graves of the famous.

I've been to the Blind Beggar pub in Whitechapel, where Ronnie Kray shot George Cornell dead.

I've seen the bullet holes on the outside of the Magdala pub in Hampstead, where the last woman to be hung in Britain, Ruth Ellis, shot her abusive lover, David Blakely, dead.

I've been to the site of 10 Rillington Place, where infamous murderer John Christie killed his victims and stashed them in his house.

And I've seen the burnt-out obelisk of the Grenfell tower, horrifically gutted by fire so very recently.

I took Dean to see the latter two as they were in the area.  'You take me to the nicest places,' he said- a touch sarcastically! 
 The tributes to the tower victims outside the nearby church were really moving, though.

Grenfell Tower, to the left of the photo.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your kind compliments- I do love blogging about my various experiences and it's nice to know it's appreciated.xxxx 😊

    ReplyDelete