Sunday 27 August 2017

MISS ELAINEOUS VISITS KEW GARDENS...

Yesterday I visited Kew Gardens, flying solo as my SuperDean was unwell.  I'm quite happy to do these kind of things alone, as it means I can go at my own pace- which tends to be fast!  There was no way a sickly boyfriend could have done anything other than go to sleep under a tree.  I practically RAN around parts of the gardens, my only gripe being that it could be a bit better signposted and they need to include EVERYTHING on their map- I did get quite frustrated when I couldn't find The Ice House, but then the sign for it miraculously popped up in front of me.  I still have to argue with travel sites that say this place can be traversed in 2-3 hours- it took me about 3 1/2  hours to see everything and that's with The Temperate House closed for refurbishment and me being familiar with the gardens and not exactly walking slowly.  Put it this way, I can feel it in my thighs and bum today!  My butt cheeks are as tight as hell and could crack walnuts!

It was a glorious day, travel was trouble-free and here's my pictorial account of it.

Here is the view over the lake, looking to the left.  The minuted I entered, I sat on the steps and scoffed my meal deal, with the swans for company.

Here's the view to the right.

Next, I headed into The Palm House, which has a tropical temperature.  It's full of jungle plants and is fertile and almost alive with energy.  

Another interesting palm.

I don't know what this tree was, but it has a kind of Star Anise smell (the active ingredient in Sambuca- I would know that!)

Here are some views from the high level walkway.  It was so, so hot up here.  The minute I climbed the stairs I stripped off my cardigan and said to a guy at the top, 'God, I've been to Cape Town and Las Vegas and even they weren't as hot as this!'



A view of the windy, spiral downward staircase.

The banana tree.

I'm not sure what this is, but Little Miss Mucky thinks it looks like a deformed testicle.  But then again, I would!

Poker plants.

Beautiful ebony tree.

I then wandered into The Waterlily House, which is my favourite place in the whole of the gardens.  It's sooooo peaceful and elegant in there.



This is a pretty flowerbed, taken as I left the beautiful waterlilies behind.

I then made my way into Kew Palace.  I'm not sure that photography's allowed in here, so I abstained.

I saved the piccies for the Queen's Garden.

Little lake.

A walkway next to the garden.

And another...

A pagoda in The Bee Garden.  I didn't see any bees, though.

Back view of the palace.

I then made my way to The Royal Kitchens.  I was very excited as this was one of only three attractions at Kew that I'd not seen before, on any of my previous five visits.

Rustic shed.

Sunflowers.

Pumpkins.


Very gloomy pantry.

The bakery.

The scullery.

The kitchen and the spit roast.  There was a cookery demonstration going on in here, but I tried my hardest not to include much of it in my photos.  I don't like people messing up my shots!


Here is the actual bathtub used by King George III.  It is so old that it's rusted and has holes deep down at the bottom.  Still, I'm glad this piece of history has survived for the likes of me to enjoy.


Storage barrels and meat hooks on the ceiling.

I left the kitchens and took a walk to The Secluded Garden.  Here's a very cute little bridge.

Sculpture.

I then walked to The Hive.  This is a fascinating new structure and I wished I'd have been able to view it in the dark, as it's covered with LED lights.  There are two different levels to it and it offers you a multi-sensory introduction to the life of bees.  I found it very relaxing.

Looking down from the upper level.

Looking down from the centre.

Me in the centre- this floor appears to be made of the same toughened glass they use in The Blackpool Tower viewing deck.

The view up towards the sky.

The view from the ground level.

This view is taken from the ground level, right at the centre.  Don't wear a skirt if you're planning on walking over the glass floor- people will see yer drawers!!!!

My camera then died on me... But I'm organised, so I found a bin, took the old batteries out and threw them in, then took replacement batteries from my bag... only to find I'd brought the wrong size- grrrr!  I went into The Princess of Wales Conservatory and took a couple of piccies with my phone.

More waterlilies, with someone's big swede in the way!

I then tried to find The Ice House, having been told, 'It's near the hive, ask someone there.'  But Kew officials seemed to be thin on the ground, and it wasn't shown on my map so I had to go by my memory of a map I'd looked at online the day before.  I quickly got frustrated and was trying to Google it, when the sign for it popped up in front of me!  I'm glad I saw it, as it was the third thing I'd never seen before at Kew, and I would've been annoyed if I'd gone home without viewing it but... after popping my head in I had to ask why I was getting my knickers in a twist over it- there was not much to see apart from an ill-lit but refreshingly cold chamber.  This is how my photo came out...

Here's a trio I inserted at a later date...

Alleyway into the ice house.

View over the railing, plus the SuperDean was with me.

Ceiling view.

I then traversed The Rock Garden and Alpine House.  I couldn't take photos, so these are from a later date.


I then took a long hike to The Treetop Walkway.  Here are some pictures I took during a previous visit.  The buildings were inspiration for the high-rise home of one of the characters featured in my first novel, entitled The Reject's Club.  I described them as 'triple eyesores offending the skyline!'

You are right on the Heathrow flight path and the aeroplanes seem VERY close! 

Queen Charlotte's cottage was open so I nipped inside.  These were also taken on a previous visit.  
Here is the cottage sitting room.

This room is filled with Hogarth prints.

Here is the cottage kitchen.

Here's the outside of this cute thatched cottage, and it was known as a cottage orné (a rustic cottage built not as a residence, but as a country retreat).  The cottage dates from 1772 and was used by Queen Charlotte, who was responsible for its construction.  Whilst out having walks in the gardens, she would pop in with her daughters and take afternoon tea.

On the home straight; I was thoroughly exhausted as I strolled past The Pagoda.  It's currently covered as elaborate restoration work is going on, but it does mean that visitors will be able to climb to the top from next year.  I can't wait!
(This photo was added at a later date, when I was allowed to climb to the top.)

If The Waterlily House is my favourite place in Kew Gardens, then the Marianne North Gallery is my second best-loved spot.  She really was a fantastic artist, so I sat in the gallery and just looked, and contemplated for a bit.

Here's one of my favourite paintings of hers.  I had a copy of this (painted by an art student boyfriend) on my bookcase for years.  He had to visit Kew Gardens and use the plants as inspiration for a theme.  But then I came across this picture in a book and realized that the lazy sod had just copied from the same book, rather than bother to think up his own composition!  I'm in the process of decorating my flat and once I've done so I might buy a print of this hummingbird and datura photo, painted in Brazil.

I also love this turtle pool in the Seychelles.  There's something about moonlight in paintings that just draws me in.

It was a tiring day but I plan to be back soon, as my SuperDean still wants to pay the place another visit.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

No comments:

Post a Comment