Tuesday 30 January 2018

SISTER by ROSAMUND LUPTON

SISTER
BY ROSAMUND LUPTON


THE BLURB:-
Nothing can break the bond between sisters...

When Beatrice gets a frantic call in the middle of Sunday lunch to say that her younger sister Tess is missing, she boards the first flight home to London. But as she learns about the circumstances surrounding Tess's disappearance, she is stunned to discover how little she actually knows of her sister's life- and unprepared for the terrifying truths she must face.

The police, Beatrice's fiancé and even their mother accept they have lost Tess, but Beatrice refuses to give up on her. So she embarks on a dangerous journey to discover the truth, no matter the cost.

THE REALITY:-
I finished this book nearly a week ago and, although it was a very good read and difficult to put down, especially towards the end, I've already forgotten it and consigned it to my memory bank. That memory had to be provoked to be able to write this review, by sneaking a look at the pages!

I did wonder if I'd be able to relate to this novel, as I've never had a sister (one of many relations I've never had) but no, it was easy to get into and understand. Did I ever want a sister? Hell, yes! I would have loved to have been part of a big family; with an older brother and sister and a younger brother and sister, all of my grandparents alive (and maybe even a great-grandparent too?) and uncles/ aunts/ cousins living nearby. Instead, it was just me, my mother and father and brother. I reckon this isolation caused a lot of our family problems, in particular mine. I know that the relationship with female siblings isn't always easy (I once knew a girl who slept with her sister's man- I mean, REALLY?!) but I would have liked to have had it.

The writer has certainly researched genetic modifying in great detail and I, as with most lay-people, have no idea how much is truth and how much conjecture, but that doesn't matter as the thread of the story is convincing. I like the way that the book is explained in the third person, historically, through Beatrice's 'conversations' with her lawyer, Mr. Wright. There is a twist at the end and I like to think that- spoiler alert!- Beatrice was found by Kasia and lived. The antagonist did, however become obvious to me as we drifted nearer to the finishing line.

The mix of highly convincing characters was good; from predictable and stolid Todd, to adulterous, self-serving Emilio and quite a few hangers-on. The suspense element of the story worked and there was a deep emotional assault on the senses as we got into the depths of Beatrice's life and how her personality developed and changed.  I'm so glad that the latter was driven to refuse the verdict of (another spoiler alert!) suicide with regard to Tess's death- otherwise we wouldn't have had this very stylish, but heartfelt, thriller. On another personal (and maybe daft!) note, I also learnt that Beata is Polish for Beatrice- nice, as I like both names and work with a woman called Beata...


Lovely, but forgettable- that would be my verdict of this work. Having said that, I'd certainly read more by this author. I just wouldn't make it my life's plan to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment