Friday 23 February 2018

MISS ELAINEOUS VISITS 18 STAFFORD TERRACE...

18 Stafford Terrace is the sister museum to Leighton House, and is spitting distance away.  Again, I discovered its existence only very recently, although after a little investigation, I realised that I probably have seen the inside of this house as it has featured on a couple of the history programmes I like to watch.

Formerly known as Linley Sambourne House, this building was the residence of Punch illustrator Edward Linley Sambourne (1844-1910).  He decorated the house in the Aesthetic style; meaning beauty for beauty's sake and making something look visually pleasing, rather than using art as a means of social-political comment.  He was an ancestor of Antony Armstrong-Jones (1930-2017) who went on to marry Princess Margaret.

I was allowed to take photographs but couldn't use a flash (grr!) which meant that the rooms were seen in silhouette and I couldn't get a decent picture of what is, in my opinion, the house's finest asset- its lovely decorated windows.

This lamp reminds me of a dress!

Dining table.

Mantelpiece.

Mirror- weird selfie time!

The hallway was quite unusual in that it had a fireplace in it.  This was considered very posh.

Hall mirror.  I wasn't best please with the selfie aspect, as I was feeling a bit shabby (and not in a chic way!) and in need of a serious hair wash.

Beautiful window with a shell display.

Another mirror... Another scabby moi...

Table and mantelpiece.  The Victorians liked to show off their memorabilia.

Closer view...

The large living room, which was originally two rooms.

Onwards and upwards...

The main bedroom; a shrine to clutter...



Study of a bedroom sink with a reflection of a scarecrow(!)

This family were clearly vain, as mirrors abounded in the house.  Mind you, I'm not one to talk- despite feeling less than best, my phizog appears all over these pictures!

The other bedroom...

I love this bust.  It looked clean and neat in a house which was, quite frankly, a bit of a junk shop.

Mirror time, again...

This bathroom also doubled as a photographic studio.

Bathroom sink.

This uppermost room was, I believe, designated for use as a library.

The maid's room.  Much simpler.


Back downstairs, taking in some of the sketches on the wall.


Back in the main, large room and here are some vases which I liked...


Another mirror!  This time in the khazi...

The khazi...

Lovely toilet vase...

There are some attractive objects d'art here, but you really have to hunt for them, as the Victorians REALLY liked their clutter- too much so, for my taste.  I know they had servants to clean said junk but, even so, I couldn't live with so much of it as it makes me feel hemmed in.  I find these kind of places a bit oppressive.

With this house, it's what you don't see that's as interesting as what you do see.  Before the tour, you are treated to a lovely film about the history of the collection, which is shown in what was the kitchen.  The toilets are in what was the pantry and coal shed.   I know it isn't possible, but I would have loved to have seen these recreated, to give an inkling of what life was like below stairs.  It must be the peasant in me!

No comments:

Post a Comment