Thursday 20 December 2018

MISS ELAINEOUS VISITS HACKNEY CITY FARM...

Hackney City Farm is a lovely opportunity for us city folk to find out a bit about country living, which is not actually something I'm unfamiliar with as I was brought up in Norfolk. 
Open for over 20 years, it's quite calm once you enter the farm, and it's hard to believe that you're only feet away from the dulcet, horn-blaring London tones of Hackney Road.

Here is its colourful signage...



Its cafe is called Frizzante and is styled on the Italian tradition of agriturismo, where the food is grown and produced on the premises.  This farm is not actually large enough to supply the restaurant, but their food is sourced from local, small suppliers.




The path down into the farm...


The gate...

The rooster and a chicken.  He was quite quiet on this occasion, although on a previous visit (I've been twice before) he was a bit randy (as well as noisy) and was chasing the hens around!

Here he is again, having a casual stroll.  The last time I visited it started tipping down with rain and the animals- having more sense than me- were inside in the warm.

Although this stable was marked 'Donkeys' there was a sheep in here and it didn't want to be photographed- so it showed me its bum... 

In the opposite pen the sheep were slightly kinder...

Chicken coop...

A hygiene warning... 

A gaggle of geese...

Ducks 'n' geese...

Ducks 'n' drakes 'n' geese...

Piglets.  This is the first time I've ever seen pigs at this farm.  Usually their pen and sty is empty... but the first time I came there was a suspicious waft of country sausages coming from the cafe...

Fully grown pigs in their sty...

Apparently, the animals are rotated and stay at this farm and a farm in Kent...

I'm sure Hackney City Farm don't slaughter their own animals, but we all know what their fate eventually is.  Maybe there's a reason why I fancied veggie burgers for dinner that evening...

The only donkey I saw.  Apparently there are two...

Donkey story...

Was this Larry or Clover?  One ear pricked up when I called Larry...

...And two when I called Clover.  So I called Larry again, and she shook an ear, so we'll go with Clover.  She treated me to a very loud hee-haw!

Nosey geese...

These geese were very friendly and sociable.  Well, we are near to Christmas so maybe they wanted to take out some insurance to make sure they didn't end up on a plate...

High on a hill was a lonely goat...

But he went and joined his friends, the sheep...

Then they went and joined the donkey for a group hug...

The goat used this fence as his beard scratching post...

Aarrgghh, a stile!  Thankfully, I didn't have to climb this one!

Here's my recent stile experience, visiting Hever Castle in Kent last month...

Read all about it via this link.  We got to meet some sheep on the way there as well:-

Some fungi growing by a tree.  I did try and photograph a squirrel running around foraging for nuts but I was too slow.  Damn! 

They often keep rabbits and guinea pigs at the farm- which I have seen before- but they weren't there this time.  This is the washing area, on the way out...

A cute piggy bank plant pot...

Their garden  reminds me of a traditional allotment- which is what I suppose it is...

Apparently, they keep bees- but there was no evidence of our stripy friends today.  I think it was maybe a bit too cold for them!

The honey from the bees is sold in their little shop (which was, sadly, closed on the day I visited.)

You can also buy fresh eggs and vegetables, as well as food made by local producers and toys and gifts in the shop.

The farm is free to visit...

This place is certainly worth an hour of your time, but experience has taught me to go on a dry day, otherwise the animals tend to hibernate!

TTFN

The Miss Elaineous

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


No comments:

Post a Comment