Monday 29 May 2017

MISS ELAINEOUS VISITS THE PLANTATION GARDEN...

Known to locals as Norwich's Secret Garden (yes, I have read the book and seen the film!😀) this is one of my secret special places (well, maybe not so secret now!)

The Plantation Garden is three acres in size, English Heritage registered and Grade II listed.  It is administered by the Plantation Garden Preservation Trust and maintained by volunteers.  It's hidden away behind the Catholic Cathedral of St John the Baptist- itself slightly younger, and constructed between 1882-1910- on the outskirts of central Norwich.  Its layout is very lovely; with a perfectly manicured lawn, uniform flower beds, a wooden walkway and bridge, a summerhouse, an Italianate terrace and a Gothic fountain.  It also has a medieval-style wall which is a mosaic of brick and tile, and contains faces, shapes and symbols.

I have also created a YouTube vlog, link:-

It was created over a period of 40 years following 1856, after successful Norwich upholsterer, cabinet maker and Baptist minister Henry Trevor (1819-1897) acquired a disused chalk quarry.  He built Plantation House and set about creating what is now known as one of the finest surviving Victorian gardens in England.  
Following his death the house changed hands several times including, lately, being one of the buildings that made up The Beeches Hotel.  After the Second World War the garden was virtually abandoned until 1980, when restoration began.  It is still considered to be a work in progress.  

It is a really tranquil place- sitting on one of the benches, it's hard to imagine that you're not far away from a busy road.  I did find, though, that the whole garden has a real sense of melancholy about it.  I would love to know more about the personal history of some of the characters who lived here.  Maybe their spirits live on and their ghosts shape the atmosphere in some way?  Did someone get their heart broken on the stairs of one of the sloping walkways of the terrace?  Or was someone murdered in a blaze of bloodshed down there on the lawn?  Or am I just being fey, fanciful and a touch daft in the head?!
  It's amazing what an overactive imagination can do.

Here is the flurry of leaves that is the metal entrance gate.

The long, atmospheric view down the garden.

A closer viewpoint.

Gawd knows what variety of tree this is- some kind of palm, methinks, but then I could be very wrong as I'm no horticulturalist!

The Gothic fountain, which is made from moulded brick and flint.  I kept my eyes peeled for passing frogs but didn't see any!

I think this little stone tower is very cute.  There is more than one and also Gothic alcove ruins- which were once part of a fernery- and a 14th century window from the church of St Giles in the garden.

Flower bed, and the garden has been described as "a rich man's folly," or "a tycoon's folly!"

Another flower bed, and these photos were taken in May.

The Italianate terrace.  I have no idea why, but I got a feeling of immense sadness when I sat looking at it.

...Or maybe I'm just being whimsical...

A view back down the garden, taken from the terrace.

The little woodland path veers off in more than one direction.

A view of the terrace, taken from the terrace- with my SuperDean.

Back to where we started, but this time taken from the bridge.

The garden is unsupervised most of the time, and is a habitat for wildlife.  The charge is £2, as dictated to by the letterbox-style 'Honesty Box' just through the entrance gate.  Naughty, naughty me nicknamed it the 'Dishonesty Box' as I slung all the change I had into it.  I think it came to over a pound, but I wouldn't swear on it!!!!

This charming haven is a real oasis of calm, and is well worth a try if you're ever in the area.

I will return, but until then,

TTFN

Miss Elaineous

XXXXX
XXX
X


No comments:

Post a Comment