Monday 22 December 2014

LUCY SULLIVAN IS GETTING MARRIED by MARIAN KEYES

LUCY SULLIVAN IS GETTING MARRIED
BY MARIAN KEYES


THE BLURB:-
...Or is she? Lucy doesn't even have a boyfriend (to be honest, Lucy isn't that lucky in love). But Mrs. Nolan has read her tarot cards and predicted that Lucy will be walking up the aisle within the year.

Lucy's flatmates are appalled at the news. If Lucy leaves it could disrupt their lovely lifestyle of eating takeaways, drinking too much wine, bringing men home and never hoovering. But Lucy reassures them that she's far too bust arguing with her mother and taking care of her irresponsible father to even think about getting married.

And then there's the small matter of no boyfriend. But then Lucy meets Gus, gorgeous unreliable Gus, and she starts to wonder- could he be the future Mr. Lucy Sullivan? Or could it be Chuck, the handsome American? Or Daniel, the world's biggest flirt? Or even cute Jed, the new boy at work?

Will Lucy find her soulmate? Read this book if you want to laugh, cry and do no work for a week.


THE REALITY:-
I picked this book up in a charity shop, purely because I remember the TV series from the late 1990s/ early 2000s. It was on late at night and I thought it was charming. It starred Letitia Dean, at the time one of my favourite actresses from Eastenders and Sarah Stockbridge, model and muse of the best fashion designer in the world, Vivienne Westwood.

I should have known better than to bother reading the book. It's “chick lit”... yuk, yuk, yuk, BIG yuk.

This is really not my genre. I have never been a girls' girl and have always been a bit of a geezerbird. I cannot stand the cliquey, girly, gossipy, bitchy “all girls together” mentality, and I find it extremely hard to tolerate female insecurities, jealousy and bitchiness.  Okay, I'm not perfect myself, and have been known to behave like these unlikeable cows from time to time.  But if you lay down with dogs then you get fleas.  I have never lived with a gaggle of women (heaven forbid) and don't get obsessed with dating, dieting and shopping. I've never really dated (more “hooked up”) refuse to diet as I'm an ex-bulimic and know where that can lead, and hate shopping with a passion.

There is nothing wrong with this book- Marian Keyes is an acclaimed author, and I can see why. At 740 pages long, I did speed read some sections, but also found some parts endearing. I found the chapters dealing with Lucy's dad really moving, and they hit a raw nerve as I was brought up with alcoholism in the family. And I'm so glad Lucy found her balls and stood up the the user that was Gus and her bully of a flatmate, Karen.

This is a well-written book if you like this sort of thing- unfortunately, I don't.




No comments:

Post a Comment