Thursday 30 March 2017

MISS ELAINEOUS VISITS GREENWICH AGAIN...

So, after going to Greenwich last week I decided I wanted to pay the place another visit, only this time I travelled solo.  I've never understood people who can't do things by themselves and have to be accompanied everywhere- sure, it's nice, sometimes, to share in a great experience with another human being but it's equally as good to travel unaided and do exactly what you want, when you want and how you want. 

My first stop was The Queen's House, originally built for Anne of Denmark, consort to James I of England (James VI of Scotland.)  I'd never heard of this place until last week- somehow, its existence had passed me by but I'm glad I've now been as the royally and nautically themed artwork on display was wonderful, and the much-renowned Tulip Stairs absolutely stunning.

Here's an outside photo of The Queen's House.  It was another overcast day.

This is the elegant walkway.

Here's the Old Royal Naval College, taken from the staircase in the Queen's House.

The Royal Observatory on the hill.  I've visited here a couple of times (climbing the hill is certainly a good workout!)  Although I've been to the planetarium that used to be next to Madame Tussaurds and also a delightful southern hemisphere planetarium in Cape Town, I've never been to see a show at this one, and will make a point of doing so in the future.

Front of the house.

The magnificent upwards view of the Tulip Stairs.  Seeing these stairs made my day- little things please little minds, and all that....!

A similar view.

The floor of the stairwell.

Gazing down from a height...

The balustrade.

The densely painted ceiling of the Queen's Chamber.

The Thames And Greenwich Hospital By Moonlight by Henry Pether.
This was my favourite painting in the whole exhibition.  I think it's something to do with the effect of moonlight on water, I just love it!

I retraced my steps and popped into the National Maritime Museum.  Both attractions are free of charge.  You don't have to have a nautical bent to find the exhibitions here interesting.  There are exiting sections dedicated to Asia, the Atlantic, World War I and, of course, Nelson, as well as The Great Map, which is fun to walk around.

This little chap interested me- I found him in the Asian section and he's called a "Scare Devil" and is used outside Nicobari homes to ward off evil.  Maybe I should invest in one!

I finished off my day with a walk through the Greenwich foot tunnel, unfortunately having to encounter pesky cyclists, breaking the rules and using the tunnel as a stunt track.  It is NOT bloody on.
On the train home I also had to put up with a man playing his guitar and crooning in a falsetto voice.  I'm sure he and his female counterpart thought they sounded good, but I would describe it as CAUTERWAULING.  They sounded like they were having their arseholes reamed out with meat hooks.  Why people can't be quiet is beyond me.  What was it that Simon & Garfunkel sang about?  Yes, it was "The Sound of Silence." 
I'm a great fan of THAT. 

No comments:

Post a Comment