Tuesday 5 June 2018

MISS ELAINEOUS VISITS THE HORNIMAN MUSEUM...


The Horniman Museum is situated in south London.  The nearest rail station is Forest Hill and, had I known that it was so easy to get to, I would have visited w-a-a-a-a-y before- I've been living in London for over 20 years, after all.  This lovely place has been named as one of the coolest top ten museums in the world by the New York Times.

It was founded in 1901 by Frederick John Horniman, a tea merchant who'd inherited his father's successful business.  The cash generated by this livelihood allowed him to travel extensively and develop his passion for collecting musical instruments, cultural artefacts and anthropological items.  He obtained some 30,000 pieces, including a massive collection of stuffed animals.  Although one of the main galleries was closed for refurbishment (an excuse to visit again, methinks?!) the museum is free, with a couple of paying, optional, add-on exhibitions and there was plenty to see.

The museum was designed by Charles Harrison Townsend in the Arts and Crafts style.
Here is the entrance from the main road...

The imposing clock tower...


Mural...

Steps leading off to the gardens...




I've always been a fan of water features and I love this fountain...


I strolled around the gardens and outer exhibits first.  Here is the Victorian Conservatory, which you can hire for weddings, conferences or any special occasion.  It reminds me of the vast hothouses at Kew.


My first impression of the grounds and here's an imposing tree...

The flower beds were being re-planted...

The bandstand and the glorious view down.  I realise why this area is called Forest Hill- London sits in a bowl and you get the same impression from Muswell Hill in north London...



Over into the distance...

Down into the distance...

Wildlife is represented, in the shape of these squirrels...

And tame life, in the shape of these sheep in a pen...

And metal life, in the shape of this dinosaur!  This section is called the prehistoric garden.

This quiet pavilion can also be hired for events...

And now... (drum roll, please!) ...we come to the piece de resistence of the whole museum.  The butterfly house is accessible for a small fee.  You gain entrance via a timed ticket to control numbers.  You are booked in on a 15 minute time spot, but they don't mind you lingering for longer.
DON'T LEAVE WITHOUT DOING IT!
This is nothing more than a large hut, but it's tropical in temperature with atmospheric music piped through.  I was actually gigging as I walked through with gorgeous tropical butterflies flying overhead.  Here are some of my photos.  The butterflies allowed me to get very close.







We're having a gang bang,
We're having a ball,
We're having a gang bang,
Against the wall.

Okay then, against the tree!

I witnessed the butterfly equivalent of a gang bang!  My partner said, 'Only you would think that!'


Worn out, impregnated and flying away! 

A testicle tree (okay then, two lots of 'em glued together!)  You know me- I can't resist crude thoughts and lavatorial humour!

The aquarium is small but there's enough in there to see and it's worth the few quid they charge.  Here's a goldfish...

...And a couple of clownfish...

Swimming with the fishes...

  
My favourite rhubarb and custard fish...

A poison dart frog...

I've never seen such a room as this- one devoted entirely to the display of musical instruments.  Here's a grand piano...

A selection of brass (instruments, darlings, not ladies of the night...)

Woodwind...

Strings...

Oboes.  No, not of the pink variety (nudge nudge, wink wink!)  Yep, we have to have more British postcard humour.  Those who are easily offended: grow up, get a sense of humour and get over it.

The final gallery is devoted to natural history, with many taxidermy species.
Flamingos are EVERYWHERE in fashion this season.  Here's the real thing.  Well, kind of.  Real, but very dead...

A glorious peacock spreading his fantail...

I am a walrus (says him, not me...!)

This leopard was giving me a very dirty look.  Well, I was wearing a top that matched him...

Y'know, this is what I came to see.  This Bengal tiger died in a zoo 25 years ago.  Isn't he majestic?


We'll finish this blog with some art.  Karen Dodd uses wool to create these coral reef pieces, inspired by the Horniman aquarium and natural history collection.

Goodbye, Horniman (you can't beat a horny man- sorry I'm in full salacious swing today!)  I will be back.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

No comments:

Post a Comment