Monday 30 July 2018

MISS ELAINEOUS VISITS THE OLYMPIC STADIUM...

Okay, I don't believe it's called the Olympic Stadium anymore and is, in fact the London Stadium now.  But to me, who lives three miles away, this will ALWAYS be the Olympic Stadium.
I've taken a wander around the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park before and have been up the Orbit twice (and down the slide once) and also went to Beach East a few years back.  This was a makeshift beach with a fairground, cocktail bars and a fake 'sea'.  It was fun!  I've never been inside the stadium, though.

The 2012 Olympic opening ceremony was the only one I've ever watched with interest and was fantastic.  I did, however: 1) Play hooky and go and watch The Only Way Is Essex, and 2) Fall asleep, during the boring countries parade bit.

West Ham football club now occupy the stadium and I don't think they should.  Not only is their former ground, the Boleyn Ground, SACRED, but I don't think that ANY football team should have gained residence at the Olympic Stadium.  Instead, it should have been kept for special events; be it sporting, music-related or whatever.

My SuperDean's annual housing association fair, named Swanfest (for Swan Housing) took place here at the weekend, so I tagged along.

Here is the view walking up to the stadium...

The Orbit...

We got a free tour of the stadium and here is the home dressing room.  The SuperDean is to the left of the photo...

There are two plunge baths and they are used for physio...

West Ham showers...

This is the original warm up track.  This airless part of the building smelt funny- somewhere between old socks, decay, rubber and farts.  Maybe it's to do with whatever materials they used in the building of this area.

SuperDean 'warming up'.  What a poser!

Dean took this photo of me winning gold.  I pointed out that whatever I'm winning it for, it's not for wearing lipstick- he could have told me to put some on as I look half dead...

The tunnel onto the pitch.  This is not a good photo as the bright light is shoving everything into silhouette...

Standing by the pitch...

This is a corner of one of the (quite small) press rooms, along with a Dean-shaped hand...

We were lucky and had the stadium to ourselves.
Sharing is overrated, y'know...


I walked right to the top and took this.  It looked like I was just below a glass section possibly reserved for commentators...

Dean took this lovely panoramic shot with his phone and I was so impressed that I pinched it for this blog...

I have made a promise to myself to return to the park and give the London Aquatics Centre a go as the pools look fabulous.

TTFN.

The Miss Elaineous

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

No comments:

Post a Comment