Saturday 14 December 2019

THE ELAINE ROCKETT MANIFESTO


ELAINE ROCKETT
MANIFESTO
I write, therefore I am, therefore I write...

I have described my creative writing as 'opening up my soul and splattering it onto the page'. I truly believe that we connect through our feelings and I want my reader to feel that I have touched a chord within their hearts. My ideal reader may well have suffered. But, even if they haven't, and have led a life that's all sunshine, lollipops and rainbows, I want them to sit up and take note with an, 'Oh, I suppose that can happen as well...'  My writing is designed to make people sit up and think and yes, also to stir things up a bit.
*
Blood is not always thicker than water. Life is long (hopefully) and life is hard. Just because someone is related to you doesn't necessarily mean that you'll instantly, and always, adore them. In fact, the opposite may well be true. Not all of us have familial relationships that are sweetness and light and tickety-boo.
*
Parents, remember: a child is for life, not just for Christmas. Parenting is not a job that ends once your offspring become of an age where they can earn their keep and you can chuck them out. Parental responsibility is not just about putting food onto the table and a roof over their heads- it's also about making an emotional connection. That responsibility begins the moment that sperm hits that egg, and you never know what you are going to get. You're supposed to love them unconditionally, and if you don't feel that you can do that, then stop that sperm from hitting that egg. Nurture them, and do your job properly and they'll be ready to leave the family home somewhere between the ages of 18-21; a capable, well-balanced adult. Neglect that, and you deserve the rejection that will end up becoming your life.
*
I use my characters to show the world how some people suffer, especially when faced with undiagnosed mental illness (maybe their own, or maybe that of someone close to them). I always remember to include some happy, well-balanced individuals alongside the damaged, lost souls to create some balance.
*
I see 16-17 year olds as very vulnerable beings, in that at that age you're expected to behave like an adult, yet are often treated like a child. It's a massive contradiction. You can have sex and get married, but cannot buy alcohol or cigarettes. You can work and pay tax but you're not entitled to a proper level of minimum wage or benefits if you lose your job. You can leave home (or legally be thrown out) but, again, cannot claim any supporting benefits if you're (and this is most likely) on a very low wage. And you have to suck all of this up without the right to vote for the political party whom you feel are best placed to look after you. The exit years at school are just as important as the early years. I put the needs of this often neglected section of society to the fore in my novels, as people need to sit up and take notice.
*
I have been known to use events that have happened to myself, or that I've seen happen to others as a springboard for ideas. I've also based some of my characters on people I've met in real life. This has tended to happen a lot more with the nastier individuals I've had the misfortune to encounter, and their influence has resulted in them being vilified on the page, with every fault blown up tenfold for effect. I've often said, 'Upset me and you'll end up in a novel.' You have been warned.
*
I find it therapeutic slinging my feelings down onto paper (better out than in). I have a compulsion to write and document that's essential to my life. Writing, in some ways is a form of revenge. You can get your own back on those who've mistreated you and laugh with joy as you document their foibles and the misfortunes you're able to create for them. I do take a macabre sense of vindictive satisfaction in imagining them reading about themselves (that's if these stupid people even bother to read books and really, don't you agree that too many people spend too much time looking at flickering screens nowadays?) I let people know what's happened and, in doing so, I exonerate myself from taking all of the blame in a situation. Writing is where you can murder someone and not go to prison for it. Writing is using the page as a psychiatrist. Writing soothes my soul.
*
I'm a lover of art, history, heritage locations, a bit of the supernatural and magic, so I like to include elements of these in my writing. It makes sense to write about what you know. But you also need to stretch yourself and research and write about what you don't know. In that aspect, being a writer is great as you get to be a reader too! I'm a big fan of a happy ending, but I do want to diversify with this, and make the characters do what they would do rather than what I want them to do. I once described story writing as, 'A set of events that you can bend to your will.' But I want to move on from this and allow my characters to control me (even if only temporarily!)
*
As part of our MA induction, we were asked to try the VIA Character Strengths Survey. It will probably come as no surprise that my biggest strength was creativity. But my second strongest point was humour. I always try and inject a sense of fun into my work; maybe with a pithily delivered observation or a hilarious line in dialogue. Not only is laughter a good tension reliever both physically and mentally (as we all should know) but a sense of it helps lighten a story that could otherwise come across as too dark. It also offers contrast to the more serious sections of my writing.
*
I don't mean to offend, but people must meet me halfway with this- I'm quite a direct person who's had a hell of a lot of experience in working as a creative practitioner (as a fashion designer). No is a word I've heard a lot more than yes. Of course it's toughened me up. Those who may have had gentler careers (or lives) have got to understand that there's no reason why I should continually pander to touchy-feely people. However, as I've matured I do try and take a kinder and more diplomatic approach. I don't want to be the fool who rushes in, and do want to take a more considered effect when offering criticism or contradiction. I don't want to let myself down by being too blunt or forceful.
*
Of course I like positive feedback. I'd be a strange being if I didn't. But I also have plenty of time for constructive negative feedback. I love the sense of achievement of having completed a job well. Yes, I am in possession of an ego. But my egotism comes from achievement, not from simply being. I want people to like my work and think of me as a skilled craftsperson, and for that I have to apply the many helpful things I've already learnt during this course.
*
Writing is my means of communicating with the world. I can't turn it off, and neither would I want to, hence I write, therefore I am, therefore I write...to infinity, at the top of the page. I have no choice. I cannot not write. Is it all about me? Yes. Probably. But I want to use writing to both connect and to entertain, and not just shove my opinions and thoughts down people's throats.
*
Being true to myself is also important. In my writing, I like to be honest to the point of being brutal. I have developed my own style, which I'm aware will change over time, like a signature. I endeavour to explore that style, go with the flow and make it my own. I refuse to be afraid of it. A writer doesn't have to be many- or every- type of writer. I would never be interested in writing fantasy or sci-fi, for example. But, in everything that I put down onto the page, my style will peep out. I believe that this honesty will make me a good writer and will make people interested in my work. To me, individuality is essential- it's one of the most important attributes anyone can possess.
*
I keep in mind that image of my bestselling novel in Foyles' window, with me sitting inside during a book signing session as a motivational tool, but I don't always feel quite so positive. Negativity and self-doubt are not always easy to put aside, but they must be worked through and dealt with so that they don't stop me from achieving my full potential. I always remind myself that I am worthy of a place on this course, and also of a successful career. I chant it out loud, if necessary, until that insecure moment passes.
*
At the moment the message on my grave would read 'A great talent, largely ignored'.  Conceited? Maybe. But I'm making steps to re-write my epitaph by undertaking this course, continuing with my blogging, working on my second novel and (in all likelihood) re-working my first novel, and also by searching for a writing job which complements my studies.
*
It's very important for me to be educated to MA level as some employers demand it (especially the more highbrow, fustier kinds of organisations). Yes, I want to work part-time as a novelist but yes, I also want to work part-time in the field of life-writing. I have every intention of continuing with my tourist attraction blog posts, have already had some freelance work in this field and have identified a selection of publishers to approach in the near future.
*
I'm someone who believes that qualifications DO matter (those who say they don't tend not to have any!) and prove that you have worked hard and applied yourself. I truly believe that no one gets very far without hard work and simply 'getting on with it'. That last statement is a mantra I apply to my writing- get on with it, get on with it, get on with it...
*
I'm also aware that I probably don't look like the kind of person who's academic- a glamorous goth would be my way of describing my style! But, I see no reason why I should dress and act in a different way, and perhaps society should learn not to judge by appearances. I wear my big hair, face full of make-up, skyscraper heels, glitzy jewellery and strapless, film star dresses with pride (I'll refrain from adding 'so there' as that would appear childish...) I like to use the same photo across all of my social media (although I'll update this one soon, as it's quite old!) It helps viewers to instantly associate my phizog with the 'Elaine Rockett brand'.
I always intended to post my Manifesto (I always envisage it as having a capital M) on my blog (which is why I've written it in this centre-of-page format, as it fits in with my travel and tourism reviews) as it's not just about letting the world know what I am about and what I believe in- it's also a motivational tool and a letter to self. It's also a reminder to 'keep it light' and take the time to work on my other writing work; that being my book and tourist attraction reviewing posts. And now, I'll sign myself off as I always do on my blog, using my moniker.

TTFN
The Miss Elaineous

No comments:

Post a Comment