Tuesday 28 December 2021

DRESSY BESSIE

I entered a piece of poetry into the Anansi Archive Autumn 2021 Poetry Competition.
I didn't win but I gained a Highly Commended recognition, and my work is going to be published on Amazon at the end of January 2022 in their first anthology.
Here is my proudly-displayed certificate... 😀

The poem is a heartfelt piece based around my favourite dolly as a child.  Here's a PDF of a similar doll to her- I cuddled her so much that the back of her head fell off!

Thank you, Anansi Archive- this certainly put a smile on my face!
Here's the poem for you to enjoy...😀

DRESSY BESSIE

Dressy Bessy (I spelt her Bessie)

When I wrote about her

(which I did as well as draw)

Designed to help

(she had zips, ties and a buckle)

Was my favourite doll

(I loved her)


My doll of dubious provenance

was not an it, she was a her...

(I loved her)


She had beautiful ginger hair

With a kiss curl at the front

her head was made of felt

Her brains fell out!

(as she was cuddled so much)

My mum bought felt

(stitched her a new head)


On Filey beach, having a paddle with my dad

A wave came in, higher than expected

She went swim swim!

My dad (my hero) caught her

She dried off in a Butlin's chalet


I gave her a picture family

A mum named Bettina

Girls with kiss curls

Twin boys, curly hair

Bettina was pregnant

'A sausage machine,' my mum said

'You can't have kids so close together!'


Under the stairs, in my parents' house

Nearly 40 years ago

(I still love you, I still miss you)

It's been sold

(so I was told)

If that's the case, she ended up on a skip

Oh! That can of worms!

I'm crying for everything now

(I love you all)


Copyright©Elaine Rockett

1 comment: