Monday 14 November 2022

MISS ELAINEOUS VISITS BRYHER...

Bryher was my final Isles of Scilly off-island visit and I travelled solo once again, as the SuperDean didn't want to come out and play.  It's one of the smaller inhabited islands; being 1.2 mi (2km) long by 0.62 mi (1km) wide, and only 84 people reside here.

I've also created a YouTube vlog about the island, link:-

Bryher sits right next to Tresco and this photo taken from the boat as I approached shows the southern end, with Tresco Abbey visible to the centre of the photo. 

New Grimsby Harbour is to the left of the beach in the centre of the photo, and it's where we'd alighted when we'd visited Tresco.  The two islands are so close that two-island day trips are often available and sandflats can be exposed during low tides.

To me, Bryher was the island that seemed the most about farming- possibly due to the presence of Veronica Farm, which offers holiday lets, and makes extraordinary fudge.
As this group of gals was right near the farm, I think we can safely assume that their contribution is an essential part of that business! 😀

I took a path that seemed quite low down, and which ran parallel to the sea, and popped into the farm.

They sell their fudge, amongst other things, in this little shed.  It's a big version of an honesty box!

I chose the rum raison and it was very good.  It had quite an unusual texture as it's crumbly, and melt-in-the-mouth.  I prefer this to chewy fudge which puts your fillings at risk! 

I trudged down the main central roads.  The residents tend to live around quite a narrow zone between the shores and hills, and to the south of the island, as the north and the outer edges are too exposed to the temperamental elements to be cultivated.

All Saints' Church is the most westerly Anglican church in England, and dates back to 1742.
The quay I'd alighted from is called Church Quay (one of two quays on the island) and is so called because of its proximity to the church.

All four stained glass windows were replaced by local Oriel Hicks in recent times, with the work being completed in 2007.  They represent sayings of Jesus Christ, and this one is supposed to be lilies in a field.

The church is open every day, although services only take place on Sundays throughout the summer season, and on special occasions.

The church has been a listed building since 1975.  Of course, macabre little me just had to take a graveyard photo! 

Looking towards the water, with Anneka's Quay to the right.  This quay is also known as Bar Quay, and dates from 1990, when it was built- by volunteers- for the television programme Challenge Anneka...

Hangman Island (I've also seen it written down as Hangman's Island), Cromwell's Castle and King Charles's Castle (with the latter, I don't think they're referring to the current chap...😁)

It was easy to view Cromwell's Castle- which sits on Tresco- from Bryher's east coast.  Built by naval officer Sir Robert Blake between 1651-52, right at the end of the English Civil War (1642-1651), it was named after Oliver Cromwell; leader of the Parliamentarians.

Island Fish, with it's picturesque outdoor seating area.  There is also a crab shack on the island, but it was all boarded up for the winter.

Looking down from the main track, and apparently, sea levels would only need to rise a few metres for the southern part of the island to turn into its own archipelago of five or six islands.

When I heard there was a phone box museum on Bryher, I assumed it was a museum containing phone boxes, and not a museum within a phone box- silly me!

It's a pop-up museum which was set up in 2018 to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the film When the Whales Came, and features memorabilia regarding that film...

The film was based on Michael Morpurgo's book, which was set on the island.  The film starred Helen Mirren and was shot here in 1988...

The flatness of these trees kind of gave them a Japanese feel...

Olivia's Kitchen Café & Restaurant serves a great selection of food and drink, including some stunning cakes- I just wasn't peckish enough to try them!

Bryher Shop is the building behind these beautiful Kniphofia Red Hot Popsicles (I also saw some of these striking flowers on St Agnes).

Bryher Gallery sells ceramics, textiles, cute little decorative thingumajigs such as these below and, of course, paintings.

Overlooking the Great Pool- an inland lake south of Hell Bay Hotel...

...I have to say, the area didn't look much like hell to me!

Boats on the water between this island and Tresco...

Crops being protected by cloches...

It was a peaceful walk around the island, but these volcanic rock formations just jutting out of the water fascinated me...  

I wouldn't mind if that was my view- but just for a holiday as I think this place is too remote for even antisocial little moi to reside in!

Twisty palm tree where the road looped round...

Looking towards a moody sky, with the sun throwing the landscape into silhouette...

I believe The Lookout is simply someone's house- I just loved the floral displays surrounding it...

Peering down onto the water.  The day was very warm for October...

Chickens clucking away and minding their own business.  I think this island reminded me of farming the most as I seemed to encounter more tractors here than anywhere else.

More Kniphofia Red Hot Popsicles lurking by the road...

These flowers seem to be a special feature of this island!
This rock is not actually called Fraggle Rock...

...It sits behind this bar and I loved the name of it- Fraggle Rock...😁

But the rock it overlooks is actually called Hangman's Rock.  There is a jib and noose on top of Hangman's Rock, although that is a modern day addition.  It is thought that mutinous sailors were once hanged here.

Behind the rock you can clearly see Cromwell's Castle, and high on the hill is the ruin of King Charles's Castle, a ruined artillery fort which was built between 1548-51.  Both buildings are managed by English Heritage, and it was King Charles I who gave the latter castle its name.

A quick visit to the little girls' room revealed this strangely phallic blue soap- I'd never seen anything like it before, and rudely commented that it must be what a Smurf's penis looks like!!!!
😁😁😁😁

Bryher has been named a rat-free zone- if you spot one of these rodent invaders you have to report it, as they can pose a threat to migratory birds...

My pre-leaving view, taken from the beach whilst waiting for the boat from Anneka's Quay, with Hangman Island to the left...

It's hard to believe that you can actually walk across from Bryher to Tresco during low spring tides!  You can also walk to uninhabited Samson, below, and here's my view from the boat back.

Bryher, I will be back next year- my holiday is all booked!

Until then...

TTFN

The Miss Elaineous

XXXXX
XXX
X

No comments:

Post a Comment