Wednesday 31 October 2018

MISS ELAINEOUS VISITS EEL PIE ISLAND AND EEL PIE ISLAND MUSEUM...

Eel Pie Island and Eel Pie Island Museum are not to be confused- as the latter is not on the former.  Puzzled?  Read on...

Eel Pie Island is an island situated in the Thames at Twickenham.  It is accessible by boat or by a bridge on the north side and its name comes from the eel pies which were served on the island in the 19th century.  Its earlier names were (in order) Parish Ait and Twickenham Ait; the latter co-existing until at least the 1880s.  Charles Dickens mentions Eel Pie Island in Nicolas Nickleby (1839).

The island was the site of Eel Pie Island Hotel, a 19th century elegant building which hosted ballroom dancing during the 1920s and 1930s.  It reopened in 1956 as a jazz venue, hosted by trumpeter Brian Rutland.  It later became a rock and R&B venue, until 1967.  Famous names who performed on the island include: The Rolling Stones, The Who, Screaming Lord Such, George Melly, and Acker Bilk.  The club closed as the owner could not meet the cost of repairs to the hotel, but briefly reopened in 1969 as a heavy rock/ progressive rock venue, playing host to the likes of Black Sabbath, Hawkwind and Genesis.  By 1970 it had become home to the UK's largest hippy commune, until it was destroyed by fire in 1971.
Nowadays, the island has 50 homes, 120 residents and a couple of boatyards, as well as nature reserves at both ends.  The plots are are privately owned and some operate as artist's studios and small businesses.  The island was seriously devastated by a fire in 1996.

The last time I was in Twickenham was (I think) in 1996.  I accessed the island via a bridge which had been seriously compromised by a utilities contractor (British Gas, if my memory serves me correctly).  

The bridge was removed and replaced by this incarnation, in 1998.

Standing on the hump and looking towards London...

And over towards Middlesex...

Steps leading down into the water.  This is so the residents can access their boats.  For a while it would have been the only way to go back and forth- I read somewhere that the island was without a bridge for something like eight months.

Looking back to the mainland and the birds are enjoying their feast.  It brought to mind a day when I was in our local park feeding the ducks, aged four or five, when my mother told me off for slinging in a whole slice of bread! 😄😄

The cottages on the island are super-cute!

Does Liz Hurley live here?!

I haven't seen a postbox like this for many years...

Crocodile house and I have absolutely no idea what the legs and bum signify! 😆

I liked the lions standing sentinel at the front of this establishment, but had to be a bit sneaky taking the photograph, as a lady was raking leaves from the garden path and I didn't want to be too intrusive.

I blew this photo up.  Weirdly, I've been known to have dreams about this island.  It's amazing what information the subconscious retains!

Saying goodbye- maybe for another twenty-odd years...

Eel Pie Island Museum is on the mainland (as I found out after searching for it on the island- duh!)  Its curator is Michele Whitby, a lifelong resident.  It opened following a very successful pop-up affair in 2015.  The outside of the building is nondescript, but the inside is very informative, lively and a lot of fun.

Here is the timeline you see down the entrance hallway...

A selection of records on the facing wall...

Press cuttings...

Corridor, and the way into the main room...

Picture of the Island ferry, from days of yore.  This looks like a relaxing way to travel- but more of a pain in the butt than using a bridge!

A trombone in the hallway...


More trombones in the museum...



Drumsticks...

Jazz cabinet.  Acker Bilk and George Melly both get a mention...

The hotel looked quite a genteel establishment...

Memorabilia which has more to do with work of the island's residents and the role of the Thames as a working river...

I'm not sure about the significance of this 'faces' artwork as I didn't recognise anyone!

This corridor is dedicated to The Rolling Stones; probably the most successful band ever to play on the island.  The Small faces also got a mention, though.  That surprised me as they're from Little Ilford- not far from where I live in east London.

I love this jazz cartoon (although I'm not a great fan of jazz...)

Memorabilia.  I own a lava lamp not too dissimilar to the one in the photo...

Wall of fame and the SuperDean.  This roll call denotes the dates of every gig played by every band on the island.  The Rolling Stones feature a lot!

Inside the museum there is a lovely, laid back atmosphere, with records being played on an old record player.  A fair bit of chillin' out seemed to be going on, by some of the other visitors.
If you're in the area, the museum is certainly worth the £3 entrance fee they charge and half an hour of your time.

I'll finish this blog with a photo of a pub on the way back to the station.  It's called The Cabbage Patch and I thought the name and sign were brilliant.😊  I had something to eat in here in 1996 (they do a good roast, if I recall correctly) but we didn't bother this time and simply hopped onto the train home.

TTFN

The Miss Elaineous

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX
XXXX
X

No comments:

Post a Comment