Sunday 4 November 2018

MISS ELAINEOUS VISITS HEVER CASTLE... AGAIN!

It was the second time around for me in visiting this wonderful place- but I had my reasons.  We had a lovely day the first time BUT, the castle I got to see looked like this in the summer...

Hever Castle often features on TV history programmes, as it was once owned by the Bullen family (one of the most powerful families in the country during the reign of Henry VIII).  The most famous Bullen was Anne, only she chose to sign her name Boleyn, which was the more sophisticated French way (she'd spent some time with the French court).  This would have been acceptable during Tudor times as there were no set spellings for names and few people could read or write.
But I always see it depicted with red ivy running down the front of the castle, like a blood-red gash.  As the green ivy was already starting to turn red inside the inner courtyard, where there is not so much sunlight, in July, I figured that a return during the autumn was in order... and I was not disappointed.
Here is my first autumnal view of the castle...

To put it quite simply, it is stunning, and it's how it looked when I first saw it on television, arousing my interest...

Of course, my visit also involved a commune with nature.  On the way from Hever Station, we had to cut over a muddy field full of sheep.  Here are my woolly friends, wondering what on earth I was doing in their field!

There was another reason for my return- we didn't get to walk around the lake the last time as it was just (in the words of the Cole Porter song, from the 1948 musical Kiss Me Kate) too darn hot!  It hadn't rained for nearly five weeks, was 36°C and the grounds were bleached yellow.  I'm not complaining, though- I prefer the heat.
Here is my brochure map and the lake looks a lot bigger than it actually is.  We managed to walk around it in 25 minutes and we weren't rushing.  

I haven't included many pictures taken inside the castle, as I blogged about this before, and here is the link:- 

The only change I noticed inside the castle was the difference to the Queens' Chamber.  Last time it just had portraits of Henry VIII and his six wives on the wall, now it has the addition of a bed, as part of its ongoing restoration programme.
William Waldorf Astor (his family owned the castle for eighty years, from 1903) bought this bedhead, believing it to be part of Anne Boleyn's bed, due to the inscription.

The figures on display are (from left) Anne Boleyn, Henry VIII and Mary Boleyn (Anne's sister, who was once Henry's mistress).




Of course, we have to include some Vain Old Tart moments...😉






We ventured into the delightful Tudor Garden...

These gardens are laid out as they might have been during the time of Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn...

The pretty flowers are Ballerina Shrub Roses...

It's very relaxing just sitting here listening to the fountain tinkling away...

In the Chess Garden, the pieces are cut from yellow yew, and are authentic to the Tudor style.  The armillary sphere sundial dates to 1710.

The Tudor Herb Garden contains English herbs for both medicinal and culinary uses.


This section appeared to be rather moribund!

One of the bridges we came across as we left the Tudor Garden.  The place was really serene...

As we made our way to the lake's edge, I couldn't resist a glance back at the beautiful, colourful castle...

A weeping willow.  As a child, this was always my most favourite variety of tree.

The Millennium Fountain...

Seeing this made the Robbie Williams song stick in my head!  I have to say, I'm not his greatest fan.

The sun sparkling on the water...

Although it was cool it was sunny, and the walk was peaceful as people were sparse...

This Japanese Tea House was constructed in 2013, to capture the feel of the original Edwardian tea house, rather than replicate it...

Looking towards the castle gardens and the water was oh-so-calm...

Waterlilies...

These pillboxes have more to do with modern times- namely warfare and defence, and date back to June 1940.

Another bridge...

This reminded me of a picture I took for a black-and-white photography project completed during my art foundation course.  I gave the photo the title 'Stark.'

A rushing weir one side of the bridge...

And dead calm to the other...

A lone tree in a static section of this waterscape...

There are four pillboxes around the lake...

This looks like it has a rather mean face!

Another bridge...

Picturesque waterfall...

Viewing seat and a SuperDean...

The same view but without his big swede in the way!  The lake very shallowly comes right up to the path.

The Japanese Tea House...


A rustic path, leading up to Smugglers' Bridge...

Waterlilies.  The water looked a bit stagnant here.

I'm not quite sure what this plant/ weed is, but it reminded me of rhubarb leaves.
I did some research, and rhubarb is a common name used for several different plants; and most of these have nothing to do with the edible variety.
This is likely to be Giant Rhubard (gunnera manicata).  It thrives in pond-side or boggy spots.

Nearly round the lake, and the Loggia is in sight...

Boat dock...

Boat hut and the SuperDean...

The Nymphs' Fountain...

Close-up...

We didn't see the Two Sisters' Pond the last time.  Here are the steps up to it, coming from the Long Border...

This pond was VERY stagnant!

On the way out, we passed the castle and a piccie was in order- I was just so pleased to see the red ivy.  Little things please little minds and all that...

Next to the gift shop there is an interesting display of intricate minature houses, covering five different periods: Medieval, Stuart, Restoration, Georgian and Victorian.
These pictures are not spectacular as I wasn't allowed to use a flash.







Hever is a truly great day out, so go and immerse yourself in history and see for yourselves.  I recommend going during early autumn, when the front of the castle looks its best, but before the flowers have wilted for the winter.

We took a slightly different route on the way back to the station, and I met up with my old friend the stile...

Dean took this photo of me taking the stile in style!😁😁😁😁

TTFN

The Miss Elaineous

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX
XXXX
X

No comments:

Post a Comment