Thursday 4 July 2019

MISS ELAINEOUS PEEPS INTO THE PET CEMETERY...

This wasn't a visit as such, as I didn't get to enter and walk around, so I'm calling it a peep.

The Pet Cemetary sits behind Victoria Gate Lodge in Hyde Park and was opened in 1881.  Mr Winbridge was the gatekeeper and he began burying dogs in the garden, starting with a Maltese Terrier called Cherry, who died of old age.  Cherry's owners were friends of the gatekeeper, and used to visit the park frequently, so they thought it was a fitting tribute to bury her right here.
The second dog to be interred here was Prince, who was owned by Sarah Fairbrother, an actress who called herself Louisa and who was married (illegally) to HRH Prince George of Cambridge.  Prince's grave has no dates on it, but it is known that he was killed under the wheels of a carriage; trampled to death by horses.  This fate was common for dogs in Victorian times.
From then on a trend was started, and the cemetery became the place for the fashionable members of society who lived near the park to bury their much-loved pets.  Mr Winbridge carried out the interments  (usually alone, as the owners were often too distressed to attend), placing the deceased animals in canvas bags, which he then sewed up, before burying them.
George Orwell called this cemetery 'perhaps the most horrible spectacle in London'.  Perhaps he was referring to the fact that, in times of often extreme poverty, these animals led comparatively unbelievably pampered lives.  But maybe spare a thought for Balu (son of Fritz) who was 'Poisoned by a cruel Swiss' in 1899.  Yes, his human parents may have been wealthy Victorians, but his epitaph suggests a less than pleasant ending.
Mr Winbridge gave over much of his garden and by the time the cemetery closed, in 1903, 300 animals were buried here.

I managed to get a few photos by poking my camera through the railings which look onto Bayswater Road, but it wasn't possible for me to get inside the garden which is, after all, private property.  Perhaps I should come back in the winter when there's less foliage to thwart me!

The large grave in the centre was the only grave where I could make out the inscription.  I think this dog was called Wilkie (emphasis on the word 'think'- it was too far away for even my laser-tweaked eyeballs to make out) and his neighbour to the left was either Witt- or Mutt.  Let's hope that for his sake it was the former... 

Some of the animals had 'human' names- such as Maudie, Dolly, Paul and Dick, and some pet names; such as Tippo, Butcha, Moussoo and Chips.  But I pity the poor, wee blighter who was called Scum...

There are cats in here as well as dogs.  There are also several birds and at least one monkey.
I've read about (and seen a photo on the internet of) one cat's grave.  It's marked with his name- Ginger Blyth- and states that he's 'A King of Pussies'.  Hmmm.  Maybe that's a moniker which hasn't aged well...😉

This place is very rarely open, but I'll keep frequenting the Royal Parks website in the hope that one of their guided tours pop up....

I walked round Victoria Gate Lodge, and these are the attractive flower beds at the side.  I was looking to find a sneaky way into the cemetery- but scaling these railings was a definite no! 

I didn't take a photo of Victoria Gate Lodge as to do so would have meant risking life and limb by stepping into the road, so I snapped neighbouring Buckhill Gate Lodge instead.  I think it makes for an enchanting little picture- it looks like it should be made of gingerbread! 😃

The view back down the steps onto Bayswater Road.  I like the fact that they've kept traditional red telephone boxes in this area.

I then skimmed along the side of Hyde Park as I made my way further west to Notting Hill.  Looking into the park you can see The Fountains, with the Pump House to the left.  There are lots of interesting things to see in this park, but it's vast- I've managed to get lost inside it before (twice, if I recall correctly).  It would have been when I was living in Hammersmith and decided to make my home from the west end, traversing the park diagonally.  Let's just say that I ended up taking the scenic route...  

Somewhere along the road are underground public conveniences, which I took advantage of.  This ominous venereal disease warning was on the wall of the ladies' toilet cubicle-  how nice!

Cafe Diana is in Notting Hill, and opened in 1989.  Dedicated to Princess Diana, she was, apparently a frequent visitor and supporter of this establishment...

You can see photos of the lady herself adorning the walls...

It's a traditional cafe and takeaway, and I'd intended to eat here- but it was a muggy, clammy day and I simply wasn't hungry, so I took a couple of snaps through the windows then hopped on the Tube and made my way home.
Maybe some other time!

TTFN

The Miss Elaineous

XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXX
X

No comments:

Post a Comment