Tuesday 2 July 2019

MISS ELAINEOUS VISITS FULHAM PALACE...

Fulham Palace, which stands alongside Bishop's Park, was formerly the principal residence of the Bishop of London.  The palace has been used for this purpose since 700 AD, being their country home from at least the 11th century and their main residence in the 20th century.  The current building dates from the reign of Henry VII (r1485-1509) but there have been many modifications since.
After the bishops of London left the palace in 1973, the property was leased by Hammersmith Council for the purpose of existing as a museum and art gallery.  The palace suffered a period of neglect, but restoration took place, in three phases, from the early 2000s.

I have been here before, many moons ago, during the year I lived in Fulham (2005).  If I recall correctly, the palace was hardly ever open and, even then, only the dining room was accessible.  I do remember getting more of a look inside when I attended a fete, but I really can't remember much about the little of the inside of the building that I did see.  I do, however, remember buying a pair of blue sparkly glass dangly earrings, as I thought they'd go with a necklace I had at the time (both have since been chucked out).  The earrings cost me all of 25p, were part of a batch-lot and the guy selling them obviously was having trouble shifting his stock as he said, 'Take the lot off my hands if you like!' 

As I had to be in Twickenham on this day, I decided to stop off at Putney railway station, venture up and nip through Bishop's Park and pop into the palace, as it's now open seven days a week.

At the entrance sits this super-cute Gothic Lodge...

Look at the cough candy twist chimneys...💜

Opposite is the Coachman's Lodge...

The main entrance...

This is the West (Tudor) Court... 

I always love a water feature and this fountain was refreshingly freezing cold when I dipped my hand into it.  That reminded my of the outdoor swimming pools of my youth.  It had to be a REALLY hot day for you to enjoy those!

Looking over the courtyard the other way and I had to tinker with this and give it a bit of an edit, as the sun was bleaching everything in its path...

Fireplace next to the entrance desk...

Cabinet of ecclesiastical accompaniments...

Timeline of bishops...

To one side are a few cabinets containing palace archaeological finds and other artefacts.  My favourite was this one, which looks quite modern and very 20th century.

This is the full skeleton of a dog and was unearthed in front of the Tudor Courtyard during a dig in the palace grounds. 

Botanical cabinet...

Bishop Sherlock's room.  The rooms were quite empty and I do believe you can hire them for events.

Striking and opulent chandelier... 

Grand piano...

The Great Hall...

Elizabeth I attended a feast in this hall in 1601.

I liked this little nook with stairs, and thought it looked better photographed without a flash.

Bishop Terrick's rooms...

Bishop Terrick's books...

Another chandelier; smaller and cuter...

Classical fireplace...

The East Court.

Originally Georgian, this court was classicised (imitating a classic style) in the early 19th century...

The Drawing Room Cafe looked very inviting but I didn't linger...

Of course, we have to have a Vain Old Tart photograph.  I have to say, I'm looking a tad bedraggled and floppy-haired here!  I blame the heat of the day...

Another view of the East Court...

...It was secluded and a sweet little oasis...

View form the other end of Bishop Sherlock's room.  This was my favourite room in the house as it's very elegant and airy.

I though these stairs made for a pretty picture.  The machinery underneath looks to be an old-fashioned mangle.

Corridor down to the Chapel...

This is called the Tait Chapel and is the fourth on the site....  

...Designed by William Butterfield for Bishop Tait in 1866-7, it was damaged by a bomb during World War II and revamped in the 1950s for Bishop Wand.

Stunning stained glass windows...

Walking back down the aisle...

The gorgeous day captured outside.  Ahead is the way out, but I turned left and ventured into the really impressive gardens...

Walking down into the gardens...

View over the palace.  In the mid 18th century Bishop Terrick re-landscaped a lot of Fulham Palace Gardens. 

This area is quite natural and wild...

Walking down the side of the Walled Garden, which was originally designed by Bishop Blomfield in the 1830s. 

Orchard plain...

Apple tree bowery...

The apple varieties in the orchard are carefully chosen to reflect Fulham Palace's North American botanical connections.

Pretty arbour...

...and another...

...and another!  These shoot off in more than one direction and add a touch of depth to the orchard.

I chose to sit and take some time out in the seat by the wall, but had to move as I was very much in the direct glare of the sunshine.  I've had to doctor my photographs to remove some of the bleached-out effect.  I will learn to use my camera properly- I will, I will, I will!

Orchard wilderness off to one side.  This was the most peaceful part of the garden.

A more structured part of the garden...

Flowerbeds...

This tree makes for a great shelter if you bring a picnic...

This garden certainly has a lot of attractive flowers and greenery...

Bishop Comptom was responsible for the Church of England in the British Colonies when he arrived at Fulham Palace in the 17th Century.  He filled the garden with exotic plants from throughout the world.
This, however, is beautiful and simple English lavender.

Bishop Robinson (who directly followed him) was more interested in edible plants...

The beautiful knot garden...

Greenhouses...

The changes Bishop Terrick made included incorporating an earlier Tudor wall into the planning of the Walled Garden.  This exit is really low- I'm only 5 ft 4 ins and was wearing quite low wedge sandals, but the top of my hair was scraping on the arch as I walked through. 

Looking over to the palace, with my back to the Walled Garden.  Apparently, there were bee boles in the wall behind me, but I didn't see any bees.  It is the one mentioned feature that I didn't bother with finding, as I'm thoroughly annoyed with bees in general; as the little critters are, once again, trying to hive in the front wall of my building and I can't stand them!  Ah well, I'll try and get rid of them the nice way- by laying down spearmint oil, which they hate- otherwise Rentokil beckons.

Mission completed, I then walked back and left the palace.  The moat is visible as you walk through the gate....
...As were many annoying, middle class mummies and their spoiled, pampered darlings, but don't get me started on that...
They get a mention on my Bishop's Park blog, and the link is here:- 

TTFN

The Miss Elaineous

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXX
XXX
X




No comments:

Post a Comment